Friday, November 28, 2008

How I got to where I am.

I wouldn't be who I am today without the influence of several people. There have been a few key people in my life who have made me who I am today. So here is an abbreviated story of how I became me with the help of other people (focusing on the positive things).

The first people who have helped me have obviously been my parents. My dad throughout his life has been an example to me of keeping faith no matter how hard life gets. He has suffered more than most people I know throughout his whole life and he is one of the most faithful people I have ever come across. My mom has shown me the same thing, because being his wife naturally means she has endured a lot. She has also shown me how to be a strong, happy, independent woman. And how to surround yourself with the things you love so you can always be happy. And she has always been my best friend when I needed one the most. And she always knows what I am going through and exactly what I need to hear, and though sometimes I did not want to hear her unbiased opinions, they were always wise.

The next person who helped me grow into myself was Becky. She was an amazing young women's leader and a great friend to me. She was the one who helped me realize that I am a beautiful, unique daughter of God. Even though I felt like an awkward, homely teenager, she always treated me like I was something special and listened to my stupid teenage dramas. She also taught me important lessons about the Atonement and repentance that have stuck with me.

At the same time as Becky was her husband who was my bishop, and is now my home ward stake president. He always called me his friend and still does, and I could see in his eyes how much he truly loved me in his. It was from his example that I knew how much the Savior loved me and that I am precious to Him. I have always thought that the Savior's eyes would look just the same as this man's.

Next in line was my friend Nia and our whole group of friends our junior year in High School. But Nia especially helped me figure out what I wanted to do with my life and taught me how to have fun. She helped me discover who I was and how I fit in with other people.

Next would have had to be Jonny. Although dating him was not one of the smartest things I have ever done in my life, he taught me a lot. He helped me understand that so many of the things I feared were "all in my head" and I could do anything I wanted if I set my mind to it. There are things I am doing now that I really would not have dared to had he not so gently let me know how dumb some of the things that were holding me back really were. He also helped me have the courage to move out and become independent. It was really not until after I dated him that I really figured out who I was.

Next were my amazing roommates. They all instantly accepted me into their circle and we always had a blast! We had some really rough times, but we always got through them and supported each other. Mandy and Megan were always incredible examples of trusting in the Lord. They had a way of knowing what He wanted for them and doing that without question. It always impressed me. And Megan would always listen to my worries and help me figure out what to do about them, from homework to boys to violin stuff. And she still listens and helps me.

The most recent has already had an entire posting to himself, so I won't dwell on that. And I suppose that when I look back on that I will discover even more things that I learned from him.

No comments: