Sunday, May 23, 2010

Senior Recital!

When I started playing the violin, I wanted to a be a professional soloist. Later on, I knew that wasn't really realistic, but I then I found out that music majors got to do a senior recital and I thought that sounded way fun! So I did become a music major, and I did my senior recital this Saturday. Lots of practicing, planning, and dreaming went into it, and it went almost as well as I had hoped it would.

That big nerve racking thing was that the entire week before my recital I was sick. My muscles were really weak and so I didn't practice more than a couple hours that week. Despite that difficulty, I was able to practice week this last week. In fact, my dress rehearsal was amazing! Bah! I wish I had recorded it, but that's ok.

This last Thursday, I started feeling ill like I had just a week before and on Friday I had a lot of the same symptoms so I was getting really worried that I would be sick for my recital. But I tried to eat well and get good rest and nutrients and all that good stuff, and I prayed for the faith to trust that I would be well for my recital, and voila! I was just a little bit dizzy, but not shaky or weak or nauseous, so I was relieved.

I wanted my recital to be extra special, so I did a little extra decorating to add that special touch.

The refreshment table, minus the cake

The program table, obviously

It was a little rough getting started, since nobody was available to do stage managing and my recordist canceled last minute. Fortunately, Mike Wallace stepped in to record and did the lights, and Dr. Bradshaw moved the piano when it was time, and Michelle gave the opening welcome speech. She delivered it very well, in fact. Then the recital went quite smoothly. I didn't make any horrible mistakes, but I still wished my last one went a little better. Oh well! At the end, I got a standing ovation starting with Jae, my former landlady. John came up to give me flowers and tried to run off stage fast, but I called to him and gave him a come hither look and gave him a hug.

Afterward, it was fun to see all the people who came to support me, and be with my family, and eat the food that me and others had worked hard to prepare and that Michelle and her friends put out for me. Here are some of the best photos of the people at the recital:

Colleen Dowse, high school orchestra teacher

Vicki and Jonathan Heaton, owners of Whittlestick's, and pretty much family.

David Armijo, one of my students, and a family friend

Chris and Kara Carter. Kara has been my friend since high school, and I was a bridesmaid at her wedding.
Professor Sun, my violin teacher of six years.

Amanda Munford, friend, fellow violinist, newly returned missionary, and sister of my first violin teacher.



My long time student Linda and her three grandkids. The shy little girl is also my student.
My aunt Margaret. I do see the resemblance between us.

Heather Burton, good friend and fellow violinist. Also a returned missionary.

Brady and Jae Price, my most recent landlords. I would rent from them again if I had money.
Rhonda's mom. I honestly don't know her name, but she is very sweet.

Rhonda Shearer, a good friend and supporter.
Patty Walser, a great teacher in the community.

The whole fam! Including my aunt Peggy and Grandma.

Me and Em.
John. He tried to hug me so many times, the goof.

Well, that's the end of this blog! Tune in again later.

2 comments:

R.T. Vance said...

Wish I could have been there I hope things recorded well.

Mary said...

I'm sorry I didn't come! I'm glad it went well and you didn't feel too sick. Yay! You did it!