Sunday, February 28, 2010

Overcoming "Blah"

Double dip this week! I posted last night also, not that anyone actually reads my blog, but yes, I am in a writing sort of mood I guess.

This week has been rather interesting for me. Well, it started before this week, actually. You know how there are those times in life we go through where we feel kind of blah about life, and just blah in general? Not really depressed, but not enthusiastic either. Well, maybe this phenomenon is unfamiliar to you, but this does happen to me every so often. For some time, I have been, or rather had been, feeling blah about things. I felt blah about my social life, about school, about playing the violin, about going to church, etc. Not to mention that due to some reason that is still somewhat mysterious to me, I don't feel well a lot of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still did all the things I felt blah about as long as I was feeling decent, but I got minimum enjoyment from it.

So, being somewhat familiar with myself and the blahs I was falling into, I decided I needed to do something to feel un-blah. So first, I started reading a series of books called The Kingdom And The Crown. These books are about the life of Christ, and about the lives of the people he touched. It is fictional, but tasteful. So anyway, I started reading this trilogy in about September and and just now about to finish it. I did this because I knew that the blahs come primarily from a shrinkage of my testimony of the Savior.

This did help, but I still was feeling kind of blah, so I decided I needed a hobby. So I bought a new camera and made a Flickr account . Instant hobby, pretty much. It has definitelky been fun to capture the beauty around me, be more observant of the beauty around me, and think of ways to express myself through photography. The other hobby I took up was jewelry making, which I love. Unfortunately, I cost me and my mom lots of money over this hobby and I am now looking for a way to make money off of it, ha ha. But it really is a great stress reliever. I think any time we create it relieves stress.

Anyway, after doing these things, I was still feeling a little blah. But with a new year and a new semester I felt I had a fresh chance to infuse my life with a little enthusiasm. So I have made more efforts to get homework done, go to bed at a decent hour, and go to class. This has certainly helped, and I am excited about learning again, whereas before I was blah about learning.

However, I still wasn't totally over feeling blah. So I read my patriarchial blessing. It reminded me of who I am and who I can become and gave me direction and helped me feel more enthusiasm and light. But still, I had not totally kicked the blah feeling.

So I started the Book of Mormon over. This has been a great spiritual helper, and helped me further in feeling better. Then, what do you know, I had a date! I was feeling pretty good about things. Then I decided to make more effort to get more out of church, and I felt even better. Then, I wrote up a great musical Easter program for my ward choir. I carefully thought about what would be of most value for the congregation to hear, and what we could technically get ready in time. I felt really good about it, and I went to church and asked for choir practice to be announced, just to learn the bishopric had decided to cancel the program due to a lack of time to prepare for it. I felt rather let down and wondered if I had done something wrong. You see, while I was feeling blah, I didn't put as much effort into my calling as I should have, and I knew it. So I was feeling like this would be a good way to semi make up for what I had been lacking. When the program was cancelled, I wondered, and still kind of do, if because of my previous lack of enthusiasm, my bishop had decided I wouldn't be able to do the project well enough. Then I was having some stress with school and with my social life so I started feeling frustrated. But with some help from a good friend, I figured out that what mattered was that I had tried. So I shook off all my feelings of woe is me, and now have a renewed determination to do things right.

Then the other night, I had a weird train of thought that maybe only I would have. You see, due to my renewed enthusiasm for learning, I had become very excited about playing my violin again to a point where I didn't know if I would be able to give it up if I had to for some reason. I thought, what if I was called to serve a mission and I couldn't take it with me? Could I do it? And after a lot of thought, I knew that though it would be hard, I would be able to give it up it I was asked to.

Then I had the great opportunity to play my violin (3 times) at stake conference. I remembered how wonderful it was to be able to use my talent to serve, to uplift. I found myself hoping that my little performance (with my friend and the choir) would somehow help someone learn something or overcome something. Then I found myself wishing I had more opportunities to play for church functions, and trying to figure how to be able to play more, and so on and so forth.

Aside from playing the violin, I felt the spirit very strongly at conference. I can't say that I learned anything groundbreaking or that the heavens opened, but I did receive a sort of affirmation that all the things I had been thinking and feeling were right and true and to keep going forward with them. "Shall we not go forward in so great a cause?"

Blahs over.

2 comments:

R.T. Vance said...

It is always good to have good friends to get us through the rough times. I do not know where I would be without my friend, but I know it would be a dark could lonely world if I was still living in it.

I hope you do get the opportunity to play at church functions. Let me know if I can help in any way.

;)
T

Mush said...

Dear Heather,
I always read your blog when you update it! I love reading it!

When I read this one, I was sitting in English feeling quite blah. It was Tuesday. Once I finished reading it, I felt a little better for that moment.

Thank you!

Love,
Michelle