Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Life's Philosophies

This is a list of things that make me who I am. In them you will discover things I have learned, things I would like to do better, and even things that bother me. This list is not intended to imply that everybody should agree with or adopt my life's philosophies. It is not intended to point fingers. I mostly thought it would be interesting as a self-reflection sort of thing. So enjoy, and feel free to ask for explanations, details, experiences, or to let me know how it is you see things, be they the same or different.

These are in no order of importance. Just the order of my thoughts. Which aren't very orderly :)

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Try a little harder to be a little better - Gordon B. Hinckley I believe in becoming a better person all the time. This doesn't mean that one should set impossible goals or hold unrealistic images of oneself, but that there are always little ways in which one could be a better, happier person.

Turn thoughts into actions. This is the "There is no try; only do or do not" philosophy. Sort of. Sometimes it is appropriate to try. However, I believe that after finding out what is best for oneself or coming up with a good idea, you should do it! Don't try to do it, just do it! If you really want something you won't get it until you. . . do it!

Don't worry about how others see you or if you will fail. Why? Because then you won't do anything. This is not to say that people's views don't matter. They absolutely do. But hey, if you know something is absolutely right for you, it shouldn't matter what they think of it, or of you for doing it. Also, "never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game". (Babe Ruth)

Be happy now. It's certainly good to have goals and aspirations and to want things from time to time, but that should not make you discontent with life now. Life is good now. There is beauty everywhere now. Find it and be happy. Now.

Take care of yourself. This entails things physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and whatever-else-al. You have needs. It's ok to see that they are met. In fact, a man I respected a lot said that you can't help someone else until you have yourself taken care of. This also entails making decisions that will help you, whether it's getting to bed early, eating healthily, avoiding situations that will hurt you in some way, etc.

Let it go. Life is full of "its", good and bad. For right now, I am talking about that bad "its". Common "its" involve relationships (friends, family, dating, spiritual) and perceived failure. (I believe you only fail if you give up, but that's a different story.) It can be as small as forgetting to take the trash out or as big as an abusive childhood. Sometimes it should take minutes to let go of. Sometimes it takes years. But whatever it is, it needs to be dealt with. Think about it, figure it out and then talk about it, cry about it, hit something, paint, create, or do something that helps you express what you're feeling. Sometimes you can't deal with it on your own, so get help. Friends, family, counselors, and religious leaders are good people to ask for help. But once you've dealt with it, put it away and leave it there. Don't go back to it. Don't even look back at it. Walk away, look ahead, and move forward.

Help others. I know this may be confusing after I mentioned that one of my philosophies is to take care of oneself. But once you are taken care of, and even while you are taking care of yourself (or "it") you most certainly can help others. In fact, finding a balance between taking care of yourself and helping others is essential to happiness. In other words, do everything you are able to improve someone's life. I find it is especially important to be aware of those closest to you and help them. Constantly.

Share your talents freely. Everybody has a talent. Everybody needs someone's talent from time to time. So share your gift, whatever it is, whenever you can. Don't do it grudgingly. Be grateful that you have a gift and that you can bring light to someone through exercising it.

Go to the source. There is a lot of information out there. Some of it is good. Some of it is not. Take the time to find the source of information (the actual policy, not someone's opinion of it, for instance) and make your own judgment. This rule applies when dealing with people too. Don't just listen to gossip and make judgments, and don't assume your own judgments are correct. If you feel like you lack understanding, find out the real story. Try to be understanding and look at someone's situations from multiple perspectives.

People are not objects. All people have feelings. They like to feel valued and unique. I have felt like a tool for men at times, and sometimes like someone's property as a musician. But I know people who make me feel like a unique, worthwhile, valuable individual and who treat me like a daughter of my Heavenly Father.

Show interest. Learning about another person can be really fun. Once you know someone, it's important to keep showing your interest in their life. Ask how they are and really listen. Let them know you really care. Don't be too hasty to express your feelings, and please please don't ask them a question just hoping to answer it yourself. It's your turn soon, but now it's theirs, so listen.

Be courteous. I am a critical thinker and sometimes have strong opinions. A lot of people are the same way. I expect that when someone asks my opinion they want an honest, courteous answer, so I give it. If I am expressing my ideas without invitation, I try to be guarded. I don't lie, but I don't bite.

I don't expect everyone to like everything that I like or to agree with everything I think, but I expect them to be courteous in their expressions.

Stick to your values. Values can come front religious beliefs or moral ideals. Stick to them. No matter what, when, who, why, how. Vote for them, eat them, dress like them, hang out with people who respect them, etc. Again, don't worry about what other people think. Stick to them. And while you're in the process, it wouldn't hurt to respect others for respecting their values. Inevitably they will be different from yours, but they still need your respect.

Thanks basically what I came up with. If I think of more I will be sure to post them. Thanks for reading!

No comments: